phidelt

Any Solutions for European Points Redemption Frustration?

Discussion created by phidelt on Nov 11, 2018
Latest reply on Nov 21, 2018 by pingreeman

I was planning to use points for a hotel room in London next summer for my wife and daughters.  I know European hotel rooms are smaller, but I think it's absolutely ridiculous that Marriott charges anywhere from $200 to upwards of $600 or $800 plus the standard number of points for a hotel room with 2 double beds.  Honestly, there are better AirBNB options out there. I feel like Marriott is saying, in essence, "If you want to go somewhere nice, we're happy to let you have a room for points as long as there are no more than two of you.  Otherwise, bring your checkbook." 

Further, I found the Marriott Platinum Customer Service Line particularly unhelpful.  When I asked for the name of a VP of Customer Service or the Loyalty Program, they responded "we're really not set up that way."  They point blank would not give me the name of anyone I could correspond with.  When I asked if I should just address my letter to CEO Arne Sorenson, they acted like "Who's that?" 

In conclusion, as someone who has racked up 1,000 nights in over a decade of business travel and achieved lifetime Platinum Premier status, I've been left deeply, deeply frustrated by the entire experience.  If anyone has suggestions, please fire away because I've already wasted way too much time with Marriott on this issue.

Outcomes