iahflyr

United Club New Restrictions Nov. 2019

Discussion created by iahflyr on Nov 4, 2018
Latest reply on Nov 5, 2018 by pluto77

Hey you Insiders with either a United Club membership or who gain access via a United credit card, Star Alliance Gold or some other fashion, read it.

United Follows AA and Delta With New Club Access Restrictions 

As a former Continental (CO) President's Club member and then a United (UA) Club membership holder after the merger for some 27 years before I allowed my membership to expire and not renew this past summer, this is would be somewhat difficult to swallow.  Yes, from the mid 1980's until probably sometime in 2016, we flew CO/UA exclusively and would use the clubs every trip whether to get some snacks, drinks, newspaper (yes millennial folks, papers  ) and enjoyed not being in the crowded terminal looking for places to wait for the flights.  Once we branched out some and started to us American and Delta Airlines on a limited basis we could still gain access to the UA Club in Terminal A at IAH since both of them use Terminal A (as does UA Express flights....hekc UA uses all five terminals at IAH with clubs in all except Terminal D) which was great as we had boarding passes for the same day of travel so we were welcomed in with open arms by the UA Club personnel even with a competitor flight upcoming as we were club members. 

Now with this change, sure it will lighten the crowds in the most overcrowded clubs at UA HUB airports like IAH, ORD, EWR, DEN, LAX, SFO and IAD, which is probably a good thing.  But, with that flexibility going away next November it makes me very happy that I did not renew my membership opting to use the AMEX Centurion Lounges and Priority Pass Lounges/restaurants.  The food is superior, selection of higher end adult beverages still free of charge at almost all the lounges and there are plenty of them at airports where UA Clubs exist as well.  So for my Wife and myself there is no need to even think about getting another UA Club membership.  No sour grapes just the facts of travel for us.

Hope this information is useful in helping all Insiders make the best decision of airline/airport club/lounge memberships that fits your travel needs. 

Outcomes