erc

Marriott Employee Strike Impacted Hotels

Discussion created by erc on Oct 16, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 17, 2018 by gunn_show

I'll stay out of the issues - but as a heads up to Insiders, be aware of the following properties offering limited service (in spite of Marriott's Press Releases) - just an FYI.

Marriott stock down from 9/27 price of $133.30 to current $115.51, whereas I'm not quivering in my investment boots; I love the homesharing business Marriott is getting into, I see it similar to when they decided to play in the Timeshare business - more choices for us the travelers, perhaps some chickens are coming home to roost.

I might have been more empathetic toward Marriott on their Green Choice impact if I hadn't experienced their nickel and diming the past five years.

Ok - good luck if you're heading to these properties (read local papers vs. Marriott's Press Releases).

The Immediate Impact of the Strikes

The following is a chart of all the impacted hotels where Unite Here members are currently on strike:

In most of the hotels where workers have gone on strikes, nearly all of the hotels’ employees are protesting, except for managers, Unite Here’s Gumpert said.

And in hotels where other hotel workers are being represented by other unions, such as Teamsters or the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE), those unions have informed their respective members not to cross picket lines.

DestinationHotel Name
DetroitWestin Book Cadillac Detroit
BostonAloft Boston Seaport
BostonElement Boston Seaport
BostonThe Ritz-Carlton, Boston
BostonSheraton Boston
BostonW Boston
BostonWestin Boston Waterfront
BostonWestin Copley Place, Boston
OaklandOakland Marriott City Center
San DiegoThe Westin Gaslamp Quarter San Diego
San FranciscoSan Francisco Marriott Union Square