ssindc

Aloft Brooklyn

Discussion created by ssindc on Oct 1, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 2, 2018 by j&c

We're finding that Aloft is an intriguing, reasonably priced alternative in some of the urban centers.  I'm not sure I'm expecting it to be my go-to choice, but I also expect many Insiders will find it's a cost-effective alternative to Spring Hill Suites, Fairfield Inn, and maybe even Courtyard (but probably not Residence Inn, but I dunno)....

Having spent some time in the Aloft Brooklyn, some observations:

• good Brooklyn location - adjacent to a Sheraton - easily accessible to public transportation;
  • cheapest ($$$/night) Marriott option in the area - hard to argue with the price point (at least during my/our stay);
  • nice, helpful folks at front desk (but very thinly staffed);
  • incredibly good use of space - 2 full-size beds in a very small footprint;
  • minimalist (but sufficient) closet (with a curtain, not a door);
  • small, but fully functional work space;
  • competent shower and bathroom area - liquid wall-mounted toiletries dispensers in showers;
  • black out blinds - better than nothing, but still left plenty of light in;
  • surprisingly in need of renovation & repair - mini-couch in our room has multiple seams that were open - loose faucet in bathroom, etc.
  • frustratingly loud air (HVAC) unit - I shut it off at night;
  • spotty/inconsistent house-keeping;
  • SERIOUS bar action on the top floor - dark, loud (OK, incredibly loud), happening (frequently) - not my scene, but popular;
  • overall, hip and fun vibe - for example, pressure sensitive floors in elevators (although some had dried out);
  • no real breakfast service, but there is a pay-as-you-go mini-marketplace - better than a classic Courtyard kiosk, but not quite 7-11....
  • parking was outrageously priced - I parked 1/2 block away for $20 less per day (and, gee, that adds up)....  Worth doing a little bit of research; and
  • pool table in lobby - nice touch.

Outcomes