Are "extra person" and other hidden fees becoming a thing?

Discussion created by 7 on Sep 25, 2018
Latest reply on Sep 26, 2018 by wannabeplatinumpremier

In planning my upcoming trip to Malaysia when booking my last hotel I used the app and noticed that they listed an "extra person fee" because I had 3 guests.

I thought maybe it thought it was 3 adults since there is no option for kids on the app. So, I went back to my laptop and went to book it through the site and specified 2 adults and 1 child. I got to the confirmation screen and decided to double check and expand the cost summary to see what all was listed. There was the extra person fee (which was roughly equal to 50% of a room night) AND some random "Service Charge" (of about $18).

This got me wondering about the two rooms I already booked so I went back and checked them.

The Renaissance also charged an extra person fee that I didn't see when I booked it (because of the way the cost summary is hidden from you).

The Westin did not and I specifically remember it having a "Family Policy" at the top of the page stating that children under 12 stay free in existing bedding.

I checked the JW also and it too listed an extra person fee.

So, has anyone else been noticing this? Or, is it maybe just specific to Malaysia?

Outcomes