kharada46

Compensation for When Properties Don't Play Along - What's Appropriate?

Discussion created by kharada46 on Sep 17, 2018
Latest reply on Sep 19, 2018 by kharada46

As some of you already know, I had a stay at the Laylow Waikiki a month ago today.  And while the overall stay was pleasant, there were critical issues with my experience.  The first being the property failing to inform me when my room was ready (I had checked in early and promised a call; they never called, even after standard check-in time).  But the bigger issues here from a program perspective is the honoring of benefits.

You see, the night before check out, I requested late check out.  The property said they could only give me a 1-hour extension to 12 pm.  Our program benefits say that Platinum Elites (and Gold in the old program IIRC) are entitled to a "guaranteed" 4 pm late check out.  However, the terms & conditions state things a little differently:

4 p.m. Late Checkout.  Platinum Elite Members may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property.  Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay.  This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design HotelsTM, where it is based upon availability.  Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, and participating Vistana properties are excluded from this benefit.

I did end up sending a complaint to Marriott Support after the property ignored the survey I completed specifying those issues I had.  And, Marriott Support did respond saying they'd give me a one-time credit of 2,000 points.  That, might I add, is a laughable amount, especially since the e-mail state "... I hope these points will allow us another opportunity to provide you with the excellent services you expect from us." and The Laylow is a Category 6 property.  And, no, it's not a resort.  They charge a "destination fee" and they do not have conference facilities.

Anyway, am I off-base here in thinking that Marriott's response to this all is a bit weak?  Should I be able to reasonably expect a guaranteed 4 pm late check out time at qualified properties?  Or do the T&Cs weaken that promise and leave it to the discretion of the property?  Am I overreacting to this all?  lol 

Outcomes