laps3781

Post Merger Reward Redemptions

Discussion created by laps3781 on Sep 13, 2018
Latest reply on Sep 13, 2018 by pingreeman

Has anyone else noticed that Marriott has gotten out of hand when it comes to redeeming points post merger?  For example, on 8.20 i booked a 10 night cash stay at St. Regis Maldives with the intent that i would convert that stay to points (@ 60k/night for a total of 480K pts) once the dust settled with the merger.  Then when i made the call to do the conversion they told me that it would be 1.58M points.  60K plus 110K/night for upgraded room b/c 60K/night rooms were all booked.  Prior to this reservation i had never seen a point charge for an upgraded room.  It was typically X amount of points plus a $/night charge for an upgrade. 

Today, i was just looking at rooms to stay at the Cosmo in Vegas and got something similar. They wanted 50k base points per night then an additional 39K/night for an upgraded room.  As a LTPP i think is ridiculous b/c i would have probably been upgraded to that room anyways and now i have to use 100K+ in extra points for my stay... 

If this is how it is going to be to stay at the nicer resorts then the value of points has plummeted. 

Outcomes