thetradition

Check the math for your reward points if you stayed during the week before the merger...

Discussion created by thetradition on Sep 5, 2018
Latest reply on Sep 8, 2018 by flexibletravels

I achieved my 25th night this year on the second night of a three night stay at the Residence Inn Raleigh Midtown from 8/14 - 8/17. I then spent one night at the Fairfield Inn Raleigh-Durham Airport on 8/17, and one night at the Springhill Suites Florence on 8/18.

In reviewing my points earned, I have some concerns.

The Residence Inn stay awarded me 5 points per dollar spent (correct), but only a 10% elite member points bonus. Since this stay occurred prior to the program revamp on August 18th, this bonus should have been 20% (the Silver member bonus under the previous program).

The Fairfield Inn stay awarded me 10 points per dollar spent (correct), but again, only a 10% elite member bonus instead of the 20% bonus that silver members were supposed to receive before August 18th.

Finally, the Springhill Suites stay that occurred on August 18 awarded me 10 points per dollar spent (correct), but again, only a 10% elite bonus. On THAT date, I should have been upgraded to Gold status as I had more than 25 nights this year at that point, and should have received a 25% elite points bonus per the new rewards program that was effective on August 18. I also did not get credit for incidental spending at this hotel which I understand now counts toward the calculation of points earned under the new program.

By my calculations, I was therefore shorted 189 elite points for the Residence Inn stay; 75 points for the Fairfield Inn night, and 190 points for the Springhill Suites night, a total of 454 points that I earned, but did not receive.

Now, if Marriott Rewards wants to take the position that late week stays during the run-up to the program changeover will be rewarded based on the terms of the new program, I should have been a Gold member upon achieving my 25th night on August 15th, and rewards for the last three nights of my trip (8/16, 8/17 and 8/18) should have been calculated at the Gold level with a 25% elite bonus.

I emailed the above to Marriott on 8/26.

On 8/28, I received the following reply:  

Dear Mr. Tradition, 

Thank you for contacting Marriott International Hotels and Resorts Worldwide, in regards to your Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) membership account. I am happy to assist you today.

As we are still in the mist of integrating everything from our old programs to our new ones, not all your information will show up just yet. Rest assured we have all your information and will update your account as soon as we can. We appreciate your patience during this time, please allow 7-10 business days for your information and points to reflect correctly.

Mr. Tradition, we appreciate you choosing Marriott International Hotels and Resorts Worldwide, for your travel needs, and  we look forward to welcoming you on your next stay, wherever your travel needs may take you. Should you require further assistance, please feel free to contact us via, 888 236 2427.

Best Regards,

Jenni S.

Associate, Gold Starwood Preferred Guest

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, LLC

Now, that doesn't even begin to address my concern.  My stays are posted, but the reward points are calculated incorrectly.  

Any idea how to get this resolved? 

Outcomes