AnsweredAssumed Answered

Feedback on Maui hotel options...

Question asked by tommy_gunn on Aug 4, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 6, 2018 by tommy_gunn

Hi all.. considering a last-minute trip to Maui in late Sept / Oct, kid's first birthday and our wedding anniversary are days apart. Wife has been stressing about putting together some huge 1st birthday here at home, and I don't want to screw with it, so I offered a trip to Hawaii instead. She likes the idea  

We have done Maui twice and stayed both times at the Ritz Kapalua, thanks to the Chase Ritz card and free night certificates (3) and whatnot. Loved it, but not worth taking a 1 year old there and paying standard ($600-800/n) prices. Looking for something similarly as nice but closer to central part of town, we really liked the Ka'anapali and Napili areas. If we went Napili, it would have to be an off-brand hotel or Airbnb type rental. 

Thus, we are considering:

• Westin Maui Resort & Spa Ka'anapali

• Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa

• Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas

• don't really like the Marriott branded options, the Maui Ocean Club (Lahaina, Napili, Molokai, Maui, Lanai towers) are all $400+ while the SPG options above are less. Unless some of you have amazing feedback on the ocean club? The other Marriott options (Wailea etc) are not in parts of Maui we want to stay. 

We are Platinum Marriott/SPG and I have enough SPG points for 4 nights free (16000 x 4 = 64k is about exactly what's in my SPG account, I have 600k in Marriott if needed) so that is a big deciding factor for the SPG tilt. I travel a lot for work and frankly rarely do SPG, so this would be a departure from the norm for me. Have stayed in a Grand Sheraton or Westin or W once or twice over the years. I cannot tell if any of the 3 above options has any sort of concierge lounge or other major Platinum member benefits, so if you have any insight there, that would also be very helpful and could sway to one hotel or another. My recollection from reading others' posts is that typically these resort/vacation located hotels don't have lounges and other perks that standard business level versions do. 

Feedback on the Westin and Sheraton options? Right now the Westin Ka'anapali is in the clear lead, based on pricing, location, and  reviews. There are some bad reviews of all of them, so it is picking the best of the bunch. Hopefully faithful followers here have first hand knowledge they can share (or point to a post you made on insiders or tripadvisor or elsewhere).

Open to any other ideas, thoughts, tips, hotel options, etc. We always fly Alaska and will use Hertz with corporate benefit and points. 

Thank you! 

Outcomes