mustanggt

Hotel Review- New York Edition

Discussion created by mustanggt on Jun 6, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 13, 2018 by btk

History

The New York Edition, just three years old, is located in the Clock Tower which was built in 1909 as part of a large attached office building.  This space served as the NYC headquarters of Met Life Insurance.  Met Life has moved out, and the clock tower portion of the building was renovated and converted into the Edition Hotel.  The remainder of the office building now houses Credit Suisse.  This hotel is only a few blocks away from the Empire State Building.  The Clock Tower reminds me of the Custom House Tower, an MVC property, located in Boston. This hotel is located on the corner of Madison Avenue and 24th Street, across from Madison Square Park.  You enter the hotel on 24th Street.  The main lobby is located at street level.  This is where you check in, and there is also a modern lobby bar and lounge area.  You can get a light breakfast, lunch or dinner there.  One level up, accessible by a spiral staircase, is what once was the executive suite for the CEO of Met Life.  The story goes that he was afraid of heights so he had his office on the second floor.  The intricate and ornate woodworking has been carefully preserved.  This level houses the Clocktower restaurant, a michelin star restaurant, a second bar and lounge, and a billiards room.  The walls are decorated with more than 500 large primarily black and white photos of all kinds of people and subjects.

Rooms

Our king room was reasonably spacious and had an awesome view of the Empire State Building.  It was stylish and comfortably furnished.  The bathroom featured a "rain" style shower head which I love.  The elevators are rather small and there is usually a wait for one.

Dining, Bars and Lounges

If you stay at this property, I recommend that you try each place within the hotel.  You will enjoy a drink and lunch at the main floor bar/lounge.  It is modern and has a good feel to it.  For dinner you must go to the Clocktower restaurant.  As a michelin star restaurant the food is terrific and the service is exceptional.  If you are a fan of souffles you have to get one for dessert.  This is one of the best I've had anywhere, very light and fluffy.  After dinner, retire to the Clocktower bar/lounge which is on the same level as the restaurant, or play a game of pool in the billiards room.  There is no club lounge in this hotel, so for breakfast I would recommend going back to the Clocktower restaurant.  Again, you won't be disappointed.

Conclusion

If you have plans to be in this part of NYC, I would recommend staying at the Edition.  It is truly a unique historic property with two great bars and an exceptional restaurant.

The historic Clock Tower which is now the New York Edition.

View of the Empire State Building from our room.  The view never gets old!

Lobby bar.

Souffle for dessert from the Clocktower restaurant...light, fluffy and delicious!

Outcomes