AnsweredAssumed Answered

What difference would a year make?

Question asked by gatorlitigator on May 22, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 9, 2018 by alwweb

I just read an article referenced in another thread by platinumboyforever.  It is over at The Points Guy and titled Lifetime Status with the New Marriott: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.  The Author makes the recommendation that Marriott grant existing Elites one extra year to make it to Lifetime cutoffs under the legacy programs (changing the deadline to hit lifetime gates from 31 December 2018 to 31 December 2019) and then states that he doesn't think that doing so would "swell the ranks of lifetime elite members too significantly, but would recapture the loyalty of members who feel slighted by the new program."

It got me to thinking about how many folks this would impact.  I know I have increased my loyalty to Marriott over the past month and a half (including booking future stays) in order to make sure I could get to LTG before the end of the year.  I have seriously toyed with trying to get to LTP to enjoy the new LTPP, but think it may be a bridge too far for me as I'm currently at 1.62 Million points and 667 nights, even after employing a few of the strategies that are being batted around.  However, if I had 2019, I would stay exclusively at Marriotts, increase my travel greatly, use the CC's exclusively and get the nights and points I need, obviously thereby increasing Marriott's bottom line (at least a little) in order to get to LTPP.  I recognize that those who have already made it probably wouldn't be too excited about others having a better chance of diluting "their" high tier lifetime benefits, but I am curious if this would actually impact that many people.  To put it another way how many folks are close enough that it matters?

I recognize posing this question on here will have very skewed results as most Insiders are ten times as likely to hit LT-whatever as the random Elite member on the street, but I am interested in everyone's thoughts.  (and, of course, I hope that David Flueck reads this and runs with the idea - communitymanagers can you give him a quick call?)

Outcomes