bejacob

Never-ending MegaBonuses

Discussion created by bejacob on Apr 9, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 10, 2018 by bejacob

Of late, it feels like there are fewer gaps between the end of one MegaBonus and the beginning of the next one. In most years, somewhere between 30 and 60 days fell outside of one of the MegaBonus promotions (I've included the dates of promotions from 2014 to the present at the end of this post).

It's hard to know whether this is a good thing or not.

While it's great to always have an opportunity to collect some additional bonus points, I wonder what happens to expectations (look at the reaction to the loss of rollover nights/buyback). If Marriott Rewards members assume the next MegaBonus ALWAYS begins the day after the previous one ends, if/when Marriott goes back to a placing gaps of a week or a month between promotions, folks are going to be upset, particularly if they plan travel based on these expectations. Also, if there are promotions going on all the time, it's likely that the "value" of such promotions will be watered down (e.g. the Summer 2018 MegaBonus which offers far fewer points for staying more nights than most previous promotions).

At first glance, the idea of always have a chance to earn bonus points due to an ongoing promotion is great. On the flip side, if the MegaBonuses get watered down too much, they lose their impact. I have mixed feelings about the issue. I love earning extra points, but if the incentive to add a few extra nights/stays to collect points is weakened too much, it is no longer an incentive. It that happens, I think these promotions would fail to achieve the goal of boosting business.

Thought?

Number of days not included in any promotion

• 2014 - 61 days
  • 2015 - 153 days (no summer promotion)
  • 2016 - 34 days
  • 2017 - 48 days
  • 2018 - 0 days (up to July 20)

Specific dates for promotions (by year)

January 1 – January 15 (carryover from fall 2013)

February 1 – April 30, Spring MegaBonus

June 1 – August 31, Unexpected Bonus (not called MegaBonus)

September 15 – January 15, Fall MegaBonus

January 1 – January 15 (carryover from fall 2014)

February 1 – April 30, Spring MegaBonus

January 1 – January 15 (carryover from fall 2015)

February 1 – May 15, Spring MegaBonus

May 24 – September 5, Summer Global Promotion (not called MegaBonus)

January 1 – January 15 (carryover from fall 2016)

January 16 – April 15, Spring MegaBonus

May 27 – September 4, Summer MegaBonus

September 12 – January 15, Fall MegaBonus

January 1 – January 15 (carryover from fall 2017)

January 16 – April 15, Spring MegaBonus

April 16 – July 20, Summer MegaBonus

Outcomes