placestoseeandgo

Disappointment in Fort Lauderdale

Discussion created by placestoseeandgo on Jan 28, 2018
Latest reply on Jan 28, 2018 by peymanagement

I am staying at the Fort Lauderdale Marriott Pompano Beach and Resort Spa on 5 night travel package. I checked into the hotel yesterday and the staff were warm and friendly. I am Lifetime Gold and my status was recognized, but I was not offered any upgrade.  I was provided with one breakfast coupon and proceeded to my room.  The room is okay,  We have a refrigerator, ample closet space and dresser for our clothes, a desk area for my laptop and a sit out balcony with a view of the beach and ocean. The bathroom is spacious enough with a walk in shower, but the door to the bathroom is a pocket door. Not exactly great privacy.  I went down to the fitness center and was able to work out. It was small, but sufficient for my needs and I suspect for most guest.  After working out, I met my wife by the pool and sat out for a couple of hours (unfortunately) the weather is cloudy and very breezy.  I decided to walk around the hotel to get a feeling of this hotel and to my dismay, this hotel is dated and needs lots of sprucing up.  In my opinion, this hotel which is charging a $20 a day resort fee, is doing this simply because it is on the beach. There is nothing special that warrants this daily charge. In addition, this hotel only has valet parking and if you try and self park, the parking in not close to the hotel.

I decided to ask the staff for additional breakfast vouchers. I waited for a lull in the registration area and walked up to the associate who checked me in when I arrived.  The associate acted surprised with my question and was going to speak to a supervisor. I must have been there when the shift was changing and other associates were nearby and heard my request.  Apparently, one of the associates must have been a supervisor and responded to my request that this a resort hotel and we give one breakfast coupon as a courtesy.  When I inquired with this associate whether that is a policy or did they have discretion, this associate reiterated that this is resort hotel and the breakfast coupon was merely a courtesy gesture. In my opinion, his response was saying "tough" and deal with it.

We will finish our stay and move on. We are actually renting a condo in the Venice area (Gulf Side) for 3 months, but it was an opportunity to see some friends on the Atlantic side before we go to our rental. There are nicer Marriott hotels to stay at in this area and II think you should consider them. In fact, there is a Residence Inn, literally 100 yards away (on the beach) that provides a better value. 

Outcomes