tofg3312

Silver Elite Downgraded to Gold

Discussion created by tofg3312 on Jan 14, 2018
Latest reply on Jan 18, 2018 by pey

One week ago, as a Silver Elite member, I had checked into the Fairfield Inn & Suites Santa Maria for a stay with my daughter. Frankly, after driving for hours, I was extremely tired and in need of a good rest. As soon as we walked into the hotel, we were greeted by the front desk attendant (Sonia/Sonja/Sonya) who was extremely friendly and pleasant to talk to. She thanked me for being an elite member, repeated the requests I had made in my profile (ex. extra pillows), and told me that I had been upgraded to a suite room. She also spent time telling us about the hotel's amenities and offered bottles of water. She acted very kind and sincere even though we checked in at an extremely late time. We had a very pleasant stay thanks to her. I completed a survey for the stay giving high remarks because of the 5 star service we received!

On the other hand, after becoming a Gold Elite member, I was surprised by the kind of service I received. A couple of days ago, because of a last minute trip with my children, I had used the mobile Marriott app to book the hotel. The exceptional service that I received the first time around led me to book the same hotel in the sense where I did not even compare rates for hotels. Again, after a long drive, I was very tired.

At the time, I had just become Gold status so it would have been my first time staying at a Marriott hotel as a Gold Elite member. The front desk manager was working at the time of my check in and I am sad to say that I did not feel that welcome nor was I greeted as a Gold Elite member! While she was handing me the room keys, I asked if there would be an upgraded room for Gold Elite status.

Literally, I had to ask for everything from an upgrade to bottled waters. While she was checking, I told her that since my daughter was joining us unexpectedly, I wanted to request a room with two beds instead of an upgrade. She gave us a connected room on the first floor with two beds. After spending the night, I realized that the room was not as clean as it should have been. The hair dryer was covered in foundation marks and had gray hair sticking out of it! It was completely not what I expected! In the morning when my family checked out, I told the same manager about the uncleanliness and she gave a half-hearted apology in return...showing no sincerity.

After experiencing such exceptional service from the front desk attendant for my first stay, I was disappointed by the 0 star poor service from the front desk manager as a Gold Elite member. All of this happened in the span of a week at the same hotel! If I had known that trying so hard to become Gold status would get me this kind of service, I would rather have stayed in the Silver Elite status.

Outcomes