wildabeast

England, France, Spain, and Portugal Reviews!

Discussion created by wildabeast on Jan 8, 2018
Latest reply on May 22, 2018 by flaav8r

We (husband and I) spent three weeks in Europe in late September/Early October.  Below is a mini review of our experiences with the different Marriott’s in the four countrieswe visited.  We had just turned Platinum prior to the trip. We did not use points for any of our hotel stays.

England-London Marriott County Hall-Sunday thru Wednesday

Fabulous location for sightseeing at Big Ben, London Eye,Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace (all within walking distance).  Hop On/Hop Off bus is right in front of thehotel on both sides of the street….easy peasy.

Room - large room with a king bed, with lots of space.  Could see the London Eye if you craned your
neck out of the very small window.  Nicelydecorated with plenty of plugs. Bathroom was roomy and nicely laid out with a
big walk-in shower.  Very far from theelevator.  If you have a mobility issueask for a room closer to the elevator.

Concierge lounge-great view of Big Ben with a very largewindow.  Decent breakfast.  Apps at night were served.  There were three small appetizers on a wooden plank and a choice of adult beverages.

Upgrade-none.  We arrived in London from Boston around 7:00 am on a Sunday.  By the time we got to the hotel it was around 8:30 am. When I inquired about an upgrade I was told no.  I asked if we were to wait until dinner time if there was a chance of an upgrade. No.  Gift was in our room.  This is the only Marriott where we did not get an upgrade (not including MVC or AC Hotels)

Overall impression.  I would not return.  We had a few issues that could have easily been avoided.
When our key card would not open the room to the ice machine my husband went up to the concierge level to get a bucket of ice from them.  They told him to go to the front desk and have his key reprogrammed so he could get into the ice room.  I went to the front desk and very quietly complained. I was given 15,000 points and a very apologetic email.  Overall, they were a bit too formal for me.

Paris-Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe- Wednesday thru Saturday

Great location about 1 block from the Arc de Triomphe and the Champs Elysees, easy access to Hop On/Hop Off bus.  Plenty of good restaurants within walkingdistance.

Room- large architecture room with a king bed and bumped out floor-to-ceiling windows facing the street.
We could see the Arc de Triomphe from our room.  Plenty of space, plugs and a nice area for coffee,etc.

No Concierge lounge. Complimentary breakfast in the restaurant.  Large selection in the buffet area and also
the option to order off the menu at no additional charge. Gift was in our room.

Upgrade- yes, from a standard guest room to thearchitectural room.

Overall impression. We really liked this hotel.  The front desk staff were very friendly and accommodating and the concierge at the front desk was extremely helpful withsome questions we had about the Eiffel Tower tours.

Valencia-AC Hotel Colon Valencia- Monday thru Wednesday

Centrally located in the city with a very convenient parking garage right next door to the hotel. Easy walking distance to the Mercado Central Market and load of great restaurants and shops. Side note- there is a Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks in the same vicinity of each other and around thecorner from the hotel…they don’t open until after 8 am!

Room- we had a deluxe room. It was pretty tight and sparse.  Not a lot of extras, which is clearly reflected in the price we paid for the room. Bathroom was small but clean.

No Concierge lounge or compensation for breakfast.

No upgrade.

Overall impression- this brand of hotel is not up ouralley.  We were traveling from Barcelona to Marbella and there are not a lot of (if any) full service Marriott’s on thatroute.  The woman at check in was inaudible and after about 10 minutes of saying “What, What, What” we pretty much stopped listening.

Marbella-Marriott’s Marbella Beach Resort (MVC)-Wednesday thru Sunday

Located right on the beach in Marbella.  Good location with a couple of good restaurants within walking distance on the beach. We had a car and went out for dinner a few nights, I recommend having a car or else you are essentially stuck
in the resort (although it is not a hardship being stuck here!) We bought some breakfast and snack items at the store in the resort and also at a market down the street. Parking in the resort was plentiful either on the road in front of the room or underneath the building. Great restaurant next door called Christina.

Room- We booked a two-bedroom suite.  Since it was just me and my husband we had more than enough room with two bathrooms and three tv’s!  The rooms were spacious, clean, well stocked,  and very comfortable.

No concierge lounge. We had a small breakfast of toast, fruit, and yogurt in the room each morning so we never did have the chance to try the restaurant for breakfast.  We ate at El Med and the Beachside Bar and Grille on property, they were okay.

Overall impression- friendly, courteous front desk staff.  Great location, nice pool.  Beach is okay.

Seville- AC Hotel
Cuidad Sevilla- Sunday thru Monday

Located in a residential area far from anything.  Hotel is very attractive on the outside.  We did not have a car and there is not much to do there.  It is quite a distance tothe park, Hop On/Hop Off and any restaurants.

Room- we had a deluxe room. Again, very sparse and not a lot of frills.

No Concierge lounge or compensation for breakfast.

No upgrade.

Overall impression- we checked in on Sunday around 12:00 andthere was only one person at the front desk. The lobby was mobbed with people trying to check out.  He did a nice job but it was obvious theywere terribly understaffed.  We are not a fan of this brand.

Lisbon-Praia D’El Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Resort- Thursday thru Saturday

Right on the beach and the golf course.  Lovely property with a lot of grassy area’s.  We had a car and visited the nearby town of Obidos (highly recommend a visit).  Not a lot around the resort, it’s pretty isolated. Beautiful property with all the amenities. A lot of golfers were here during our stay. Easy parking right outside the hotel entrance.

Room- we were upgraded to a 1 bedroom corner suite.  Gift in room. Great view with a small balcony.

No Concierge lounge. Complimentary breakfast served in hotel restaurant was very good with a large selection. Nice lobby bar with great views.

Overall impression- very friendly staff in a gorgeous setting.

We spent three weeks traipsing around Europe and stayed primarily at Marriott hotels.  We
definitely have a preference for the full-serve Marriott’s and this was a great learning opportunity for us to discover that we really like the Renaissance product and are not keen on AC.
Different strokes for different folks, right?

Outcomes