wit33

Renaissance Newark Airport - Terrible Experience

Discussion created by wit33 on Oct 17, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 24, 2017 by nipper

To preface this, I am an Ambassador Member with +1200 nights stayed at Marriott Hotels and +200 nights at this particular hotel.

In August I chose an overnight stay at the Renaissance Newark Airport due to having stayed at this location +200 nights in the past before catching a flight. After checking in around midnight, I went to my room upstairs to put my stuff down and went to the lobby for less than 10 minutes. In this time my room was broken into, laptop stolen and curtains urinated on. Security at the time knew exactly who took the device and admitted the door was broken. The next day the hotel said they didn't have any evidence and refused to do type of compensation for the stay. The manager was extremely rude and disrespectful and I had to ask for the manager to come out of the office to talk to me.  Being an Ambassador status, I expected some degree of respect but didn't receive any. The hotel refused to reimburse for the stay, refused award compensation of any sort but did agree to have their insurance pay for half of the laptop costs (with Marriott reminding me that they didn't have any evidence with the tone that they didn't believe me). When asking for the incident report or video footage, the hotel again refused any sort of help.

On top of this, the hotel failed to file a police report even though a criminal trespassed onto the property, vandalized the property and stole from it. The next day my Mac appeared for 10 minutes on Find My Mac about a mile behind the hotel but the hotel wouldn't do anything about this and neither would the police since they did not file a report. (I didn't file one immediately because I wrongly assumed the hotel would and it was 1 a.m. at this point and I had an 8 a.m. flight)

Outside this incident, I have had a great experience with Marriott but this alone has caused me to seriously consider changing loyalties. Has anyone else faced an issue like this?

Outcomes