edrobertson

FedRooms and Marriott Cancellation Policy

Discussion created by edrobertson on Sep 8, 2017

I have been a federal government employee for nearly three decades and I prefer to stay at Marriott properties when I travel for business. However, Marriott is making it increasingly difficult to do so. Marriott's recent update to its cancellation policy violates the FedRooms program (see (c)(3) below).

If Marriott values the patronage of federal government travelers, then the company must address its non-compliance with FedRooms rules.

--------------

§301-11.11 How do I select lodging and make lodging reservations?

(a) You must make your lodging reservations through your agency’s travel management service.

(b) You should always stay in a “fire safe” facility. This is a facility that meets the fire safety requirements of the Hotel and Motel Fire Safety Act of 1990 (the Act), as amended (see 5 U.S.C. 5707(a)).

(c) When selecting a commercial lodging facility, first consideration should be given to government lodging agreement programs such as FedRooms® (http://www.fedrooms.com). The advantages of obtaining lodging using the FedRooms® program are:

(1) Lodging rates are set at or below per diem rates;

(2) There are no add-on fees;

(3) The room cancellation deadline is 4:00 p.m. (or later) on the day of arrival;

(4) Most hotels offer last standard room availability rates;

(5) There are no early departure fees; and

(6) Rates are available using all booking channels (e.g., E-Gov Travel Service, Travel Management Service, FedRooms® website, and hotel reservation call centers). The FedRooms® rate code (XVU) must be entered to get the program benefits.

Outcomes