So, I'm about to turn in after a splendid evening at the Renaissance Meadowlands.
I'll skip the long story, but I've had great luck, over the years, at the Newark Marriott - because it's so convenient by train or car - but I was driving, and this was a good spot (within striking distance of the George Washington Bridge), and the last minute reservation rate was so cheap I had to take a double-take, and here I am....
Without getting to carried away:
- Despite my super-budget rate, upgraded to a spacious, comfortable, nicely laid out room with a killer balcony with a (distant but unobstructed) view of the NYC skyline - wow!
- Lots of things I love in my room - an excellent work surface/desk (plus the millennial-friendly lounge-chair-and-laptop-mini-desk), a sturdy, adjustable, comfortable desk chair on wheels, plus a nicely size bathroom with (no tub but) a terrific, large shower with a slick glass rolling/barn door (and, of course, Aveda bath products - aaaaahhhhh - my favorite - sorry, even after all this time, I remain unimpressed by Marriott's choice of Thann products - Your Opinion: New Marriott Toiletries (Thann)), and the other basics (coffee machine, fridge, etc.);
- smallish (but fully satisfactory) gym, with all the things I enjoy - quality machines, plentiful towels, disposable ear phones, water cooler, and apples;
- I'm lounging in my classic Renaissance robe (the familiar brown one, not the slick new black microfiber job - for more details, read this: Robes and Slippers? are you jealous, brightlybob?); but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the
- shockingly good restaurant, Finch's - OK, I was dining alone (and reading my Kindle), but I overhead a number of other tables remark upon how surprisingly strong the food was! The restaurant appeared institutional (but comfortable) .... yet my waiter was friendly/helpful/excellent, the wine list was lengthy, the menu was ... stunningly diverse and interesting ... OK, the menu was so interesting that, for dinner, I ordered - one-at-a-time - three starters (octopus, duck, and tuna) instead of an entree - and each one was better than the last... Each starter was gorgeous (colorful and appetizing and nicely presented), and each fully delivered on its promise - they were delicious!
- Oh, and did I mention free parking, which is nice this close to NYC and Newark airport!
The fact that there are lots of football fans here for the upcoming pre-season game (the stadium complex is very close by) isn't detracting from my enjoyment of my (short) stay. Nice place - I'll be back.