brianandlin

How did you get "hooked" into your loyalty program?

Discussion created by brianandlin on Jun 29, 2017
Latest reply on Sep 3, 2017 by tker

Ten years ago we had finally got rid of taking the kids away on holiday with us and decided that Linda and I would treat ourselves to a holiday in a nice hotel instead of the apartments which had become the normal over the previous ten or so years. We decided that , because of the climate, we would go to Tenerife in the Canary Islands. A friend of mine suggested the Sheraton in La Caleta so I decided to check it out. Basically I Googled it and came across this loyalty programme called SPG which promised to give me some special treatment for booking through them. I decided that this could be a good deal and the price was right so I booked it. On arrival I was given an ordinary room directly above the open air bar! Not a good start, however I asked if it was possible to have a different room and was promptly shown 3 other rooms which I could choose from. Linda and I had a very good holiday and we went off home nicely relaxed.

When we got home I thought this style of trip was right down my street so I thought I would take Linda away for a long weekend for our wedding anniversary. I decided to book a room at the Le Meridien in Barcelona and booked flights accordingly. We got to the Airport in plenty of time and waited for our flight to be called when the airline announced that our plane had broken down in Greece and that we would have to wait for a replacement plane which was currently in Portugal. Instead of arriving at the hotel at six in the evening we arrived at two in the morning and it was also pouring with rain! I was not happy. At reception though we were met by a cheerful guy who apologized for the rain and told us that the hotel had upgraded us,( even though we were new members of SPG on only our second trip). The porter  showed us to the lift and took us up to the top floor. When we got out we were faced with a double set of doors, which he opened and led us into the Presidential Suite. That is when I was hooked! The suite had two bedrooms, a lounge that overlooked the Ramblas, it even had a Sun terrace with Sun chairs. The shower had a port hole window so you could look out over Barcelona whilst having a shower.

That was ten years ago and I set out to achieve Gold and then Platinum which I did by our next wedding anniversary. We have now had nine excellent years of travelling with SPG, we have been amazingly well treated and next year I aim to hit lifetime platinum.

Outcomes