nmballoonist

Hotel Review - Marriott Crystal Gateway Arlington, VA

Discussion created by nmballoonist on Jun 25, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 25, 2017 by vaboywnder

Completed a 4 night stay at the Crystal Gateway Marriott last week.  This is the first time I have been back to this location in a few years and found a number of changes.

I had a room on the top floor (17th) in the Capital Tower facing west.  Room was recently remodeled and very nice.  Plenty of outlets for charging electronics, with two near the bed.  Handy for charging phone overnight while using for an alarm.  Usable desk and chair, again with power outlets nearby.  There was not the typical armchair with an ottoman, but rather what I think is termed a chaise lounge.  Short sofa with one side and a partial back.  Tried using it while doing some reading, but not as comfortable to me as an arm chair and ottoman.  Not really any drawer storage space (1) with the other drawer being taken up by the in room safe.

The bathroom was spacious with one sink and plenty of counter top space.  A large, sliding glass door shower only.  There was a hangtag with the option to skip housekeeping (up to three days) and earn 500 points per night.  Since it was just me traveling, took the offer for two nights separated having housekeeping in the middle.

Flew into DCA and took the Metro to Crystal City.  For those who are not familiar with Crystal City, you can walk from the underground Metro station to both the Crystal Gateway and Crystal City Marriott without having to go outside.  This is a nice feature when the weather is bad or during the winter.  A number of restaurants in the complex (Jaleo, McCormick & Schmick, Ted's Montana Steakhouse to name a few) that are accessible from inside the complex or just a few steps from an exit.  I had checked in using the mobile app and my room was ready at 1 PM even though I arrived at about 3:30.  Staff was friendly and always asking if I needed anything.  During peak hours in the morning and afternoons, there was always a management person standing a little way from the desk.  Stopped at the bar for Happy Hour one afternoon.  Found a reasonable selection of drinks and munchies, but no IPAs on tap.  Ended up at the Crystal City Marriott another night and thought their Happy Hour selection was a touch above and with two IPAs on tap.

Last time I was there, the Concierge Lounge was on one of the upper level floors, but now they have converted to the M Lounge on the lobby level.  I will post a separate review of the M Lounge, however I will say it was very nice (even though they did not have bottled waters).

Enjoyed my stay and would give it a 4.5 out of 5.  Can't beat it for access to the Metro.  I would rank this as my #3 Marriott in DC, behind the JW and the Mayflower.  It would be a good base if you were traveling with family to visit all the sites around DC, due to the easy Metro access. After reading vaboywnder review of the Marquis, I may have to try it sometime, but somewhat less convenient for me.

Outcomes