ssindc

You Can Never Go Back - Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks

Discussion created by ssindc on Jun 25, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 26, 2017 by brenshark

Spent last night at the Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks.  Was curious to see it, because - back in the late 1980's - this was the hotel that began my Marriott quest (and steady march to Lifetime Platinum) - that's where I earned my distinctive (then coveted, and now rare) Marriott Marquis luggage tag.

Alas, it was a significant disappointment.  (I'm assuming I was unlucky, and the staff was understaffed and overwhelmed by the wedding party there last night.)

• Brutally loud (jet engine inspired) air conditioning unit;
  • Desk chair was too big for room - we were constantly crawling over/around it;
  • A room service tray was on the floor outside a room near ours for the duration of our stay;
    • similarly, used towels and food service items (plates and glasses) remained on the table outside the pool area for the duration of our stay -  our window looked down on it, and it was a surprising eyesore....
  • The bathtub fixtures were loose and not fully affixed to the wall;
  • The robe in the closet was threadbare, and - to the extent it had no belt/tie - was useless;
  • The breakfast buffet was a study in poor layout and management
    • the flow in the room was non-existent - all interactions with the (nice) omelette station caused 3-5 people to move, apologize, and re-form their lines;
    • no water to be found - had to ask the restaurant manager for a couple of glasses;
    • no implement for the waffle iron - some poor kid made his waffle then stood there - watching it burn - while the staff disappeared to (slowly) find something to remove the waffle;
    • the toaster was having problems - so burnt toast smell and smoke pervaded the buffet room;
    • spoons were at a premium - soup spoons could be found near the oatmeal, tea (or coffee or yogurt) spoons were never discovered.
  • If there was a concierge lounge, it was not mentioned to us - although we were there on a weekend.
  • Fortunately, the beds were (very) comfortable, and
  • Most of the staff that we interacted with were very nice.

Alas....

Outcomes