curiousone

San Francisco Weekend

Discussion created by curiousone on Jun 13, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 17, 2017 by shaunfromcolumbus.ohio

Just finished a 3 day weekend in San Francisco staying at the Starwood Luxury Collection Palace Hotel, using points.  This is located at the corner of Market and Montgomery and has a BART stop right outside the side door on Market. Great location!

The Palace was built in 1875 and for an old hotel has some decent sized bathrooms. (My pet peeve about old hotels is the bathrooms being so small) The rooms all have 12’ ceilings. The toilet was a fancy Toto that had a heated seat and would turn on the fan when you sat down. It would also “wash” you, “front or back”. Call me old fashioned, but I don’t think toilets should need a power outlet in the wall.20170609_130549_1497307119773_resized.jpg

20170610_194043_1497307064732_resized.jpg

They do not have a concierge lounge, but offered points, or a continental breakfast for two each day. I opted for the free continental breakfast which was priced at $28/person. It was a very nice breakfast in the beautiful Garden Court. They acknowledged my Plat status and indicated they had upgraded me to better room on the 8th floor (out of 9). The room was very nice and each night on turn down they placed slippers on a pad on one side of the bed. (A different side each night.)

We brought the sun with us from Phoenix again, but it was cool and windy all 3 days. Glad we brought our jackets. We did our usual walk everywhere routine. On Friday we went to the Salt & Straw ice cream parlor in the Filmore district. Very good ice cream, but I discovered that Portland OR has different recipes than San Francisco or LA. I liked the Portland recipes better.

20170610_182243_1497307065772_resized.jpg

Saturday morning we walked down to the Ferry Building on the Embarcadero and checked out the Farmers Market. After that we walked down the Embarcadero to Ghirardelli Square. Along the way we made brief stops at the Courtyard Fisherman’s Warf and the Marriott Fisherman’s Warf to enjoy a soft chair and a break from the bright sun. We took Columbus St. back to downtown and passed through Little Italy. When I noticed Coit Tower behind the massive Catholic church I realized that we were walking completely around Coit Tower. I was thinking it would be good to have dinner in Little Italy, but was not up to hiking back again that evening.

20170610_152741_1497307118690_resized.jpg

When I booked this trip I had hoped to stay at the Marriott Marquis, but it was booked. (I will try again on the next SF trip.) When we got back downtown we went to the Marquis and had a glass of wine at The View lounge at the top of the Marquis. Pretty impressive view from there. After walking through Little Italy I was definitely wanting pasta for dinner. We settled on the Buca di Beppo, a few blocks from the Marquis, and had a tasty bowl of pasta. (Yes, it was a chain restaurant, but it was close.)

20170610_162734_1497307120735_resized.jpg

After a leisurely breakfast on Sunday, we took BART back to the airport. On the flight back the SWA magazine noted that it was their 49th anniversary and they had Wild Turkey 101 available. I decided to give Herb Keller’s favorite liquor a try and was pleasantly surprised. Not a bad deal at $5/shot.

Outcomes