AnsweredAssumed Answered

Is this some kind of a joke ?- revisited

Question asked by brianandlin on May 29, 2017
Latest reply on May 30, 2017 by brianandlin

I am writing this not in any confrontational way, but simply so that perhaps you Marrioteers will have a better understanding of why Starwood Elite Guests, especially in Europe, have high expectations of SPG hotels. I also hope it may help you to understand why we are very loyal to the brand and very worried by the outcome of the merger.

At the end of April my wife celebrated her 65th birthday. We had several family gatherings but I decided to surprise her with a short break to just relax and recover. I booked a standard room at the Sheraton in Fuertaventura in the Canary Islands, at a cost of €117 (apx $130) including breakfast. I still had a number of my guaranteed suite nights left so I decided to use them for this trip so I went to SPG to add the request to the booking. When I did so the request was refused and on checking I realised that the hotel had already confirmed an executive suite for the stay. This is the best suite in the hotel after the Presidential.

On arrival we were greeted with 2 glasses of ice cold Cava and after we checked in we were shown to the suite which was very large and had a great Sun terrace. On the dining table was a very nice cheese platter and some iced water. There was a voucher giving us free access to the Spa for the whole of our stay and an envelope with a welcome letter from the hotels GM and an invite for us to have a free dinner on any night of our stay in any of the hotels 4 restaurants.

We had a great stay with superb weather( typical of the Canaries), excellent food both in and out of the hotel and on our last night the hotel delivered a small box of chocolates with a note wishing us a safe journey home. We also received our 500 point welcome bonus plus another 1000 for green choice.

This is not an expensive hotel and is only a category 3 property which means that free nights are low points and I think cash and points  are only $55 and 3000 points.

Outcomes