oomhs

Punta Islita, pay for upgrade or just hope?

Discussion created by oomhs on Apr 7, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 21, 2017 by dnahowell

Hi all,

I've booked a 5 night stay at the Hotel Punta Islita in Costa Rica for July. The points only cover a deluxe room which comes either a king bed or two fulls. They emailed today to say that my Platinum status potentially makes me eligible for an upgrade to a Junior Suite, but that I can insure it by upgrading now for $100 per night + tax. Primarily, I'm concerned about the bed because my husband and I are not small people- he's 6'2 and I'm 5'10, so we are not going to be comfortable in a full sized bed. However, my husband was recently RIF'd and so money is a little tighter than usual right now. (Not tight enough to cancel the trip, mainly because the flights are already booked and non-refundable, but tight enough, you know). Would you go ahead and pay now, knowing it would make the vacation less enjoyable if we're stuck getting no sleep in the full bed, or would you cross your fingers and hope July is slow enough that they won't be super booked and we'll get an upgrade once we're there?  For people who have stayed before, is the Junior Suite worth the extra?  Any advice is super greatly appreciated!

Outcomes