jsucool76

Ritz Visa Infinite $100 airline discount and Basic Economy

Discussion created by jsucool76 on Mar 23, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 2, 2017 by jsucool76

Heylo there,

Recently took advantage of the Ritz cards new(ish) benefit of the $100 airline ticket discount when purchasing 2-5 tickets. I bought 2 r/t tickets from FLL-PHL for late april, and the price was pretty dang good. $264 total, for 2 roundtrip tickets. Screaming deal I thought.

After i make the purchase, the screen says "we'll email you your record locator # yada yada yada" so I login to my AA account to pick my seats. To my surprise, I was sold a basic economy seat. No overhead storage, board last, can't pick seats. Nowhere on visadiscountair.com did it say it would be a basic economy seat, and I haven't flown AA since they started offering em, but they have the most availability for flights into PHL, so I went with them.

Just a heads up to everyone that if you use this benefit, you'll likely end up with a basic economy seat on routes that they're offered, at least on AA, not sure about united.

The only silver lining in this situation is that since I have the aviator silver mastercard, I still board in my normal group (was group 1, now group 5 due to their boarding changes (they now have like 13 groups, it's ridiculous) and I still get my free checked bag, AND free use of the overhead bins(ooo la la). But I still don't get to pick my seats. Other positive is i'll once again be staying in what I think is one of the best FFIs ever, the Fairfield Inn and Suites, Reading Wyomissing.

Outcomes