bejacob

Koloa Landing - Autograph Collection property on Kauai

Discussion created by bejacob on Mar 15, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 23, 2018 by neverstoptraveling2016

The Autograph Collection has a new property on Kauai. The Koloa Landing, formerly part of Wyndham Hotels & Resorts, has now joined the Marriott family. The official transition to the Autograph Collection was delayed several times due to issues related to finishing the $100 million renovation. My recent stay actually occurred before the switch over, but with the help of Jennifer D. in the Corporate Liaison office, the property was able to honor my 5-night points stay. Only the 350,000 gallon saltwater lagoon pool and the new restaurant (consulting chef, Sam Choy) were not open. Neither diminished my visit.

entrance.JPG

After entering the property from Poipu Road, guest find themselves at the front of the lobby.

entrance2.JPGlobby.JPG

The lobby, open on all sides, has a nice, though small, bar. The concierge and rental car desks are off to one side. A door opens into the 24-hour marketplace, a combination gift shop and convenience store. Opposite it is the Spa, and just behind that is the fitness center (though the entrance is around the corner). Check out the view of the property from the lobby complete with the ocean in the distance.

lobbyview.JPG

Here's a shot looking back toward the lobby from the bridge in the picture above.

lobbyview2.JPG

At the center of the renovation is the new lagoon pool. I couldn't get too close as it's still being built. Look closely and you might be able to pick out the yellow-shirted construction workers.

new_pool.JPG

Two other pools were open, the family lagoon pool, and the tranquility pool complete with waterfalls.

pool2.JPGpool1.JPG

If swimming is not your thing, other recreation is available on-site. Here is the soccer pitch, volleyball court, and way in the back, the putting green.

recreation.JPG

About a dozen buildings are spread around the property. Those with the standard rooms have 14 rooms per floor. Those with the villas have just four. Here's the building we were in. Our unit is on the 2nd floor and covers the entire east end of the building (note the small 2nd balcony behind the tallest palm tree).

building.JPG

At these building, each end has it's own elevator. Villas ending in 01 and 02 share one elevator, while those ending in 03 and 04 have another.

building6.JPGelevator.JPG

The elevator has two doors and buttons corresponding to room numbers. When you get off at your room, you're just a few steps from your door on your own entryway balcony. On the top floor is a 4-bedroom penthouse suite villa (over 3600 sq. ft.). We were upgraded to a 3-bedroom villa.

living.JPG

living2.JPG

Apologies for the back-lit picture.

dining.JPG

kitchen.JPG

And let's not forget the wraparound, corner balcony.

balcony.JPG

balcony2.JPG

Views from the balcony were pretty good too. We could even see the ocean in the background beyond the tranquility pool.

balconyview.JPG

balconyview2.JPG

In case you're curious iahflyr, that manicured lawn across the driveway is the putting green.

The two main bedrooms each had a king bed, while the 3rd room had two twin beds. Two of the three bathrooms had separate tubs and showers, while the third included a shower/tub combo. I took pictures, but there's not much reason to post them. All but the smallest bathroom had two vanity counters/sinks. The villas had more closets than I knew what to do with, including a walk-in closet with another smaller closet inside. A stacked, front loading washer/dryer rounded out the amenities.

Normally there is a daily resort fee of $32. For my stay that was waived. I suspect it was because the new pool and restaurant were unfinished. A buffet breakfast was provided, and for us, there was no additional charge. It was set up in one of the conference rooms. Though nicer than the select service hotels, it was not quite as good as most full-service properties. I expect it will be better once the restaurant is in operation. At $12.99 per person, it may be the most affordable breakfast buffet available at any full-service Marriott location in Hawaii. I expect the price will increase once the restaurant opens.

Overall, my stay was wonderful. The new pool looks good, though it's hard to say whether I would have used it or not. Kids will love it. One important thing I should mention. The Koloa Landing is not located on the beach. There is access at the back of the property to a rocky section of shoreline, but the nearest beach is probably a mile away. It's a short drive. There are a fair number of restaurants near, some just a modest walk down the road. With the full kitchen and grills not far from the pools, cooking on-site is also an option.

The staff were all very nice, though other than a few pre-arrival emails, no one demonstrated that exception "Spirit to Serve" mindset for which Marriott is know. Perhaps that will change when the conversion is complete.

I can highly recommend the Koloa Landing. While not on the beach, having a property with several different room types in the Poipu resort area is a big plus. The property joins the MVC Waiohai Beach Club and the Sheraton Kauai as choices for MR members. It's a great addition.

Outcomes