clebert

REVIEW:  The Phoenician - SPG Luxury Collection

Discussion created by clebert on Mar 10, 2017
Latest reply on Mar 12, 2017 by clebert

I just completed a 3-night stay at the Phoenician in Scottsdale, AZ.  It's an SPG property as part of the Luxury Collection.

Since we can't do reviews anymore, I'm just doing my own review.

Pros:

Beautiful property with expansive grounds, golf, several pools and restaurants, villas, and a spa

Self-parking for $12, or valet parking available - self park was easy and convenient with in/out privileges - I wish RC let you self park

Freshly updated rooms with top-notch finishes (similar to RC properties in quality)

Even the smallest and least expensive rooms are huge (600 sq. feet)

2 sinks, shower, soaking tub, and separate room for toilet in the bath

2 closets and a desk in room - plenty of plug ins and usb ports on the nightstand

24 hour room service

Rooms have covered, private balconies

Service was excellent

Food was good in restaurants, through room service, in coffee shop on site, and at conference facilities

Poolside food and drink service, towel service, and complementary water pitchers with ice served to all guests

Camelback Mountain is right behind the property

High end shopping very close to property

Many shops on site

I was not charged the standard resort fee (not sure why not - maybe a platinum benefit?)

I got double points as part of the spring promo

I got 500 bonus points at check in as the platinum gift

I got an upgrade from a resort view to a mountain view which included a nice view of the cactus garden

Housekeeping was quiet and unobtrusive - they forgot to replenish my K-cups (rooms have Keurig machines) one day, but when I called, the brought some right up - they had a nice turndown service with chocolates and bottled waters

Robes and slippers in rooms

Huge bath towels and plenty of them

Top quality bedding and linens

Excellent security to get in and out of the resort and on the property itself

There is a kids club (the Fun-icians Club)

There are daily resort activities

Cons:

Expensive - after parking and taxes my room was $500+ a night as the conference rate - regular rates were higher during high season

No concierge lounge

Resort fee typically applies

Pools are nice, but the layout and pool setting, landscaping, etc., isn't as posh or relaxing as many other high end resorts

Main hotel architecture is not as charming as some Southwest-area resorts - kind of a 70s era design

Hotel layout and grounds are a bit sprawling and not super intuitive to navigate

Not much separating kid/family pools and areas from adult pool and spa area

Quite a trek to get out to the pool area through hotel lobby and restaurant/bar areas which is awkward in swim attire

Indoor conference space was nothing special - just ok

Outdoor event areas were hit or miss - some were beautiful, secluded and nicely landscaped, and some were too much in the open with too much concrete

Too much air conditioning and rooms were a bit cold - fan/blower was quite loud which helped provide some white noise but still a bit loud

Overall:

It is a very nice property - nicely appointed with excellent service.

I would stay again if I could get a reasonable rate.

It is good for couples, families, golfers, sun lovers, hiker, shopping trips, or conference goers.

Outcomes