dcal1986

Best Rate Guarantee---Sorta

Discussion created by dcal1986 on Mar 8, 2017
Latest reply on Mar 9, 2017 by fistuk

I frequently travel for work and as a Marriott rewards member I will typically attempt to stay Marriott over any other brand, however I will usually check some travel sites to compare pricing from other brands just to be sure Marriott is not out of line. Yesterday I was searching for a room in the New Orleans area for a few nights and found a room for ~$150/nt on Marriott's website. In doing my comparison, I found on Expedia the same room at the same hotel for $116/nt. I have never pursued the 'Best Rate Guarantee' but for that much of a swing I decided to give them a call and see what they could do.

The gentlemen on the phone was very quick to look up the room and book it for me. Then proceeded to send me over to another person whom I was assured would look up the lower price from Expedia and would most certainly match their price plus an additional 25%. Well all the next person did was refer me to a claim form to fill out, which I promptly filled out and submitted accordingly. Within 20 minutes, I received an email stating: "I am denying your claim because I cannot verify that a lower rate is available on the comparison site you submitted.  At the time of review of your claim I was unable to verify the rate of $116.00 as we received the following message from Expedia.com:   "Standard Room, 1 Queen Bed is sold out""

How convenient for Marriott.... How can I be assured that they didn't just book it out themselves in order to sell me on the higher rate? Oh and guess what, it is too late for a room cancellation. Next time I will surely book the lower rate on Expedia first and then contact Marriott, they surely don't direct you to do that. Could have just been chance that the room got booked out from under me, but somehow I can't help but feel that I got swindled on this deal....

Outcomes