pluto77

European Properties and Number of Guests per Room

Discussion created by pluto77 on Jan 18, 2017
Latest reply on Jan 19, 2017 by pluto77

I've come to notice over the course of my European travels that the list of available room types that pops up in a search can vary by number of guests/per room.  I have seen double/double rooms that only allowed 2 guests/per room, yet I know that many families would find a double/double room perfectly acceptable for say, 2 adults plus one or two children, or in some cases, even 3/4 adults, yet on the website, if you plug in 3 or 4 guests, these room types will not appear, or else when you try to book them for 3/4 persons, it will throw an error message telling you to decrease the number of persons/room and increase the number of rooms to book, before continuing.  For instance, a double/double larger room, appx. 430sqft can be reserved for 3/4 persons at the Marriott Champs-Elysées in Paris, yet a double/double larger room at the Shelbourne Renaissance Dublin, cannot be reserved for 3 people, even though the room is spacious and the photo even depicts plenty of open floor space (say for a rollaway), and in fact it permits a rollaway for an extra charge (a room with two double beds, plus one rollaway allowed, yet it can only be reserved for 2 people?) 

I decided to reach out to the Dublin property and inquire of this. I received a reply back telling me that they would indeed accommodate 3 persons in that particular room type, and to just go ahead and book the room for 2 people, then shoot them back an email with the confirmation number, and they would update the reservation from 2 guests to 3 guests.  This is exactly what was done, thereby saving us some money.

I thought I would just throw this out there in case there are any families who have run into a similarly frustrating situation when attempting to reserve rooms at some of the popular European Marriott properties.  The lesson then, is if you find a property that you think would reasonably accommodate 3/4 persons, but the website won't let you book it (or the reservation agents over the phone - I'm convinced that they only see the same things that we do), reach out to the property itself and see what they can do. I'm glad I reached out with an email to guest services at the property, which produced some good results.

Outcomes