kharada46

Disney's Moana now at Aulani in Ko Olina

Discussion created by kharada46 on Jan 16, 2017

For any of you visiting Hawaii with kids, Disney's newest "princess" Moana is now at Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa in Ko Olina.

aulani-activities-moana-meet-greet-resort-13R-16x7.jpg

Of course you'd expect them to do this since Moana is loosely based on folklore of various Polynesian cultures from around the Pacific.  And, of course, features Hawaii's own Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson and Auli'i Cravalho.

Not sure why the embedded video isn't working... Auli'i Cravalho - How Far I'll Go (From "Moana") - YouTube

For those of you that haven't seen this movie yet, I highly recommend it.  It's a great movie with a good story and (mostly) catchy soundtrack.  Is it as good as Inside Out?  Nope, but that was a truly EXCELLENT movie.  Haven't watched that one yet?  WATCH IT.  It's the perfect movie that makes kids laugh and, literally, makes parents/adults cry.  But anyway, yes, Moana is good.  It is not the most accurate representation of Polynesia, as the islands looks like Tahiti, the music (I believe) is in Samoan, and of course the main voices are Hawaiian.  Other vocal performers hail from Fiji, Samoa, New Zealand, and Hawaii again.  Despite this, I do think Disney was very respectful of the cultures and seemed to make a concerted effort to include as many different Polynesian cultures as possible.

And if you are visiting Hawaii and want to take you kids to see Moana at Aulani, character visits are open to the public.  The characters are not available at all times of the day, however, so you'll need to consult the resort's newsletter, "TheDaily Iwi" for the day's complete schedule of appearances.

Outcomes