bejacob

Big 5-0 in Hawaii

Discussion created by bejacob on Dec 14, 2016
Latest reply on Mar 13, 2017 by bejacob

Many of you know, I'll be celebrating my 50th birthday in the 50th state in just a few months. The trip is coming together bit by bit.

Already booked

• First class one-way from CMH to PHX to SAN on AA
  • 1 night CY San Diego/Liberty Station (closest property to the airport)
  • Premium class one-way from SAN to LIH on AS
  • 5 nights on points at the new Autograph property, Koloa Landing
  • 5 nights on points at the MVC Ko Olina Beach Club
  • First class one-way from HNL to JFK to CMH on DL (overnight with lie flat seats)

I held off booking the SAN-LIH leg until I achieved MVP Gold status with AS. Unfortunately, by the time I booked, I could not get a guaranteed FC upgrade. I settled for the Premium class upgrade which ended up saving me a few hundred dollars over the FC upgradable fare, though I'm bummed I won't be in FC for the flight to Hawaii. At least I will be for the overnight flight home.

I still need to book the flight between LIH and HNL as well as any activities. I plan on reserving a helicopter tour of Kauai (Na Pali coast, Waimea Canyon, waterfalls ... need I say more?)   Also planning a day trip, fly-in/fly-out to Kalaupapa on Molokai from HNL (since Kalawao county is technically a separate entity from Maui county).

Given that I'll be there in March, there's a good chance I might see some whales (though I know Maui is the best island for whale watching). It's been almost 13 years since I was last on Kauai. I visited Oahu a little over a year ago, though I'm not familiar with the area around Ko Olina, having never visited that side of the island.

Any suggestions for other things I should do on Kauai or Oahu?

I've been to Pearl Harbor and climbed Diamond Head, though I won't object to doing either again.

Anything major I'm forgetting?

Outcomes