tommy_gunn

Hawaii - first timers - 1yr Anniv... ideas and help please!

Discussion created by tommy_gunn on Aug 15, 2016
Latest reply on Oct 21, 2016 by ssindc

mulva61 / kharada46 / iahflyr / bejacob / jerryl / dreamtrip / nwlikeshopping / thebighomie / jtwiz

... tagging all those with great Hawaii threads or responses from other posts, if you don't mind sharing your feedback and thoughts from resorts (Marriott or not) that you stayed at on your recent trips. Several of you appeared to have stayed at the couple options I am considering.

Main thesis: two San Diegan's interested in our first Hawaii trip. Was considering Kauai for Poipu based on close friends' feedback..

... now centering on Maui for a better mix of fun / semi-touristy stuff / beaches / etc

... targeting end of Sept/early Oct this year, short time line, but I have seen the RC on package deals still available (but not direct)

We are mid-late 30s married couple, no kids, so prefer higher-end lodging with less kids (ie not a marriott vacation resort)... would like to swim, surf, get to hiking, activities, walk to great food and bars...but not too touristy or crowded... 1 year wedding anniversary so would like mix of everything. And also a great resort if we just want to hang one or two days at the hotel pool area.

My main target of interest, based on the threads I found: Ritz-Carlton in Kapalua

Many posts on this site and outside (such as TripAdvisor) point me to the RC Kapalua.

But I have seen some favorable reviews of the Maui ocean club Lahaina and Napili towers... and the Wailea Beach Marriott as well.

My main points vendors are Marriott, Delta, Southwest (useless for HI), Alaska, and 100k at Chase Sapphire that I can transfer to many vendors to consider deals on points. Also, since anniversary, I am willing to look elsewhere (non-points) for the right hotel/condo/etc. Thus if the Andaz Wailea is really the best thing since sliced bread, over the RC Kapalua, then I would consider Andaz. Willing to put a nice budget together for this trip, not trying to go "cheap" per se, more looking for deals.

** I'm also Marriott Gold, if any of these have a C-lounge for extra bonus value...

Any thoughts, feedback on these specific hotel options, other options, or other islands that you think would be better for mid-30s no-kids first-timers.. I welcome all responses, and thank you greatly in advance.

Since I am leaning towards Kapalua/Maui, if you have feedback on day-trips, hikes, surf spots, bars, restaurants, etc... please share as well!

Thank you!

tommy_gunn

Outcomes