iahflyr

What Determines Your Airline Ticket Purchases?

Discussion created by iahflyr on Jun 1, 2016
Latest reply on Jun 20, 2016 by j&c

I just completed the purchase of some airline tickets today and it got me thinking, how do Insiders determine what type of airline tickets you acquire for business and/or pleasure and what process you use?

• Do you seek award travel?
  • Do you look at strictly non-stop flights or will making connections work for a lower price?
  • Do you purchase the lowest fare with no refund or if changed after 24 hours you pay a change fee?
  • Do you purchase the lowest fare with an attempt to upgrade to Business or First Class either on a wait list or upgraded at purchase?
  • Do you compare the cost of using award travel as opposed to the price and distance flown?
  • Do you compare the cost of using miles to upgrade as opposed to buying the Business or First Class ticket taking into consideration the price and distance flown?
  • Do you say what the heck and pay full price for your ticket regardless of what cabin you are in?

Our tickets for the most part are for pleasure except for a couple of times a year when my Wife has a business trip.  I look at all the above and then compare options while attempting to use non-stop flights when every possible.  Frequently the cost of the lowest Business or First Class ticket in recent months from IAH particularly on United and American has made the most sense since the number of miles used for an upgrade plus the ticket price does not make it worth the miles plus cost.  Then if you are wait listed for the upgrade who knows if you'll get it!!!

Come in Insiders, give us the process you use when buying airline tickets short haul or long haul.

Outcomes