fschumpert

Airline Pre-Check To Reduce Wait Times

Discussion created by fschumpert on May 24, 2016
Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 by fschumpert

At a time when many travelers are experiencing long wait times, especially for security pre-checks, I would assume that most "Insiders" are already aware of some of the tools available to reduce wait times when traveling via air. However, in case some of you might not have taken advantage of these, here are a few suggestions. Some have already posted similar notes: Re: TSA Pre Check and CAC Cards

1.  Having made your airline reservation via internet, set up with your favorite airline advance check-in (depends on your airline status), and print your boarding pass(es) before you arrive at the departure airport, or use this feature on mobile app (see below)

2. Familiarize yourself with all the travel restrictions regarding checked and carry-on luggage. Possession of these will only delay your - and others' passage through the airport.

3. If you have "premium" status, such as "Gold", "Platinum", "Diamond", you can access these security lines without having to wade through long, general boarding queues. (*Most seasoned travelers already know this!) These also afford early boarding at the gate and seat selection also.

4. Apply for TSA "Pre-Check", which will be printed on your boarding pass:  TSA Pre✓® | Transportation Security Administration

5. If you travel internationally frequently, you might want to consider the merits of "Global Pass" credentials for re-entry into the U.S.A.

Global Entry | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

6. I traditionally fly Delta Air, so their app for my mobile phone is quite handy, especially for travel alerts, notices of airline delays, check-in, etc. Most airlines offer similar connection tools:  http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/mobile.html

7. Consider the merits of purchasing travel insurance prior to departure, particularly when traveling during particular, seasonal weather conditions (hurricane season, winter months, etc.)

Perhaps others would want to offer additional tips.

Outcomes