boomer

Masters Golf Tournament

Discussion created by boomer on May 22, 2016
Latest reply on May 23, 2016 by mustanggt

Last year I entered the annual drawing for the privilege to buy tickets for the Masters and actually won!  I bought the 2 allowed tickets ($100 each) for the Friday of the 2016 Masters.  I immediately went to Marriott.com to book a hotel and came up with a total of ZERO hotels anywhere close to Augusta, GA for points.  There was a FFI about 30 miles away for $569 a night!  No thanks!  It ended up coming down to staying in either Atlanta or Greenville, SC.  Knowing that it would be a Friday, I opted for Greenville as I figured it would be less traffic.  I stayed at the Greenville Marriott for 20k points a night.  A bargain for a nice property.

I rented a car on points from Hertz and booked RT air on points from Southwest and made it a Father's Day gift for my father (obviously not my mother Captain Obvious!).  The ride was on secondary roads and was about 2.5 hours each way but was well worth it.  It was a once in a lifetime (actually, hopefully not) event.  Augusta National is an amazing place.  Everyone from the event staff to the police to the security guards were extremely welcoming and nice. Saw some great golf on a beautiful golf course while eating $1.50 sandwiches and drinking $2.50 beer.

f you ever get the chance, even without any Marriotts nearby, do it!

Outcomes