greattraveltime

Marriott refused to honor their Ultimate reservation guarantee

Discussion created by greattraveltime on Apr 25, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 25, 2016 by andrewt

As a Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite member, I was in for an unfortunate surprise thinking that I was protected by their ultimate reservation guarantee. After receiving an email that my May reservation at Playa Largo Resort & Spa was cancelled, I contacted Hotel Management, the Elite reservation line and customer care to no avail. They stated that the ultimate reservation guarantee only applies if you are "walked", which means you are turned away when showing up in person to check in. Since I was being notified in advance, I was not eligible to receive compensation for being "walked". After questioning how this was possible when the ultimate reservation guarantee is Marriott's policy, I was sent terms and conditions that exclude newly opening properties from the ultimate reservation guarantee. I am not sure how this is legal because Marriott's ultimate reservation benefit policy does not include a single reference to exclusions or terms of conditions (Marriott Rewards® Elite Benefits Guarantee). I was offered some points and a few dollars but nothing close to paying for my stay at a nearby hotel, $200 in cash and 90,000 points.

https://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/member-benefits/guarantee.mi

Outcomes