AnsweredAssumed Answered

Tax exempt travelers

Question asked by chukker on Apr 18, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 19, 2016 by jerryl

Not so much a question as a recurring theme - why do so many hotels struggle with the tax exempt traveler?  I travel for business (tax exempt) as well as pleasure and have been very pleased with Marriott properties except when it comes to getting a correct (tax-adjusted) statement.  The drill is I book the stays on the Marriott website and pay with a government-issued credit card.  At check-in, I always have my tax exempt certificate, ID, and government credit card with my name and the government entity ready.  Invariably there is a form that is required to be filled out stating the purpose and eligible category of tax exempt status.  And invariably, when I wake up on the date of check-out I find a statement including the posted taxes!

I've stayed in two different Marriott properties (Park Meadows Marriott - Lonetree, Colorado and the Westminster Marriott, also in the greater Denver area) this month and gone through the drill at both places only to get the pleasure of going to the front desk at checkout to ask for a corrected statement. 

The most recent visit, I was told that the accountant is the only one who can take the taxes off and he/she wasn't working this weekend.  Since I had checked in on a Thursday and done all the paperwork then, I wondered what the hangup was?  Evidently, as I was told, the taxes have to be posted on the date of checkout before they can be removed!  With this explanation and with the accompanying apology - yes, the front desk person added, this happens all the time, I asked "if you know someone is tax exempt, tell them at check-in that the correct statement will be e-mailed to them?" 

Then the first thing a traveler would encounter when they wake up on their last day at the hotel wouldn't be the added annoyance of having to explain (usually to a different front desk person) that the taxes need to be adjusted.  Marriott does so many, many things so very well, I wish I could include serving the tax-exempt government traveler experience to the list!

Outcomes