mustanggt

Stay at The Press Hotel in Portland, ME

Discussion created by mustanggt on Apr 11, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 16, 2018 by mustanggt

We have just returned from our fourth stay at The Press Hotel in Portland, Maine.  This Autograph Collection hotel, which opened last year in the former Portland Herald Press building, is a true gem in the middle of the city.  The one of a kind decor throughout the entire hotel follows the theme of journalism, right down to the book of poems left on your bedside table as part of their turn down service.  Their restaurant, The Union, is quickly becoming one of the top eateries in Portland.  If you are having trouble deciding what to select from the menu, simply ask to have the chef create a three or five course tasting menu for the table.  We did, and we weren't disappointed.  If your business or leisure travels take you to Portland, stay at The Press Hotel...You'll be happy you did!

(Edited 2/19/18 based on recent stays)

We have stayed at the Press Hotel a few more times since this original writeup, so I thought I would take the time to update it.

This hotel is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Portland on the corner of Exchange and Congress Streets which is right in front of the City Hall building.  This location makes everything an easy walk from the hotel.  However, if  you need a ride, the hotel will give you a courtesy ride and pickup in town.  The Union restaurant located in the lobby of the hotel has continued to reach new higher levels.  The head chef, Josh Berry, was recently named 2017 Maine chef of the year by the Maine Restaurant Association.  The lobby also contains the Inkwell bar & lounge.  This is a good place to begin or end your evening with a hand crafted cocktail.  The lounge also has a cozy gas fireplace to help warm you up on a cold winter's day.

The lower level of the hotel contains a small gallery that house rotating art collections.  From time to time they will host the artist whose works are being displayed.  They will occasionally have special evenings where they will bring in an author for a presentation or do a wine tasting.

If you stay at this hotel and want to branch out to a couple of other restaurants, I would recommend the following:

-  Fore Street, located on Fore Street, is about a ten minute walk.  They feature an extensive menu which is updated daily.

-  Timber Steakhouse, located on Exchange Street within view of the hotel, features nice steaks and other entrees.  They also have a large bar with hundreds of premium liquors, and claim to have the largest collection of whiskies and bourbons in New England.

-  The Grill Room, also right on Exchange Street, is a very nice bar and grill for lunch, and they feature a number of local beers.

-  In case you need a morning or afternoon pick-me-up, there is a Starbucks on Exchange Street just two blocks from the hotel.

Here are some answers to other posts that have been made during the past several months:

Mobile App: This hotel does NOT support the mobile app at this time (no mobile checkin).  The system is still under development.

Recycling:  There is a recycling bin in every room and enough towel hooks/racks to reuse towels.

Newspapers: Not delivered to the room, but plenty of free papers in the lobby (4 different papers).

Coffee:  There is a keurig machine in the room.

Club Lounge:  None.  Elites receive a coupon to be used in the restaurant.

Overall, this is a very enjoyable property in a nicely restored historic building.

Outcomes