OK, folks, I'm looking for something a little different than my normal routine. We're considering a family excursion for the Xmas/New Years season, but planning for multiple families (age range: high school, college, ... to long-retired), and I've been given innumerable criteria (many of which aren't normally on my list).
Among other things, preferences have been stated for:
- Warm (in winter), so I'm assuming south or southwest
- Preferably a resort, which suggests, among other things
- good, on property dining options - bonus points for multiple quality restaurants
- Pool, spa, and maybe a golf course (but I get the sense the golf course is optional)
- Direct (and relatively short) flight from DC - grumble, grumble
- apparently, California is "too far"
- a preference for domestic (no passports, no language issues)
- Luxury/higher end - Renaissance, JW Marriott, Autograph - and, apparently, even the Ritz Carlton is in play
I'm out of my element here.... My initial research led me to this short list (plus a half-dozen properties that don't have enough rooms available):
- Las Vegas - https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lasjw-jw-marriott-las-vegas-resort-and-spa/
- Lake Oconee, Ritz Carlton, Georgia - http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/ReynoldsPlantation/Default.htm
- the (splendid) Camelback Inn in Phoenix/Scottsdale - https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/phxcb-jw-marriott-scottsdale-camelback-inn-resort-and-spa/
- mini-update: apparently, early family sentiment is leaning towards the Camelback Inn ... but it's still early
- Charleston, South Carolina - https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/chsak-grand-bohemian-hotel-charleston-autograph-collection/
- Amelia Island, Ritz Carlton - http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/AmeliaIsland/Default.htm
- Savannah - https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/savad-mansion-on-forsyth-park-autograph-collection/
- Birmingham, Alabama - https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/bhmhv-renaissance-birmingham-ross-bridge-golf-resort-and-spa/
- San Antonio - https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/satak-eilan-hotel-and-spa-autograph-collection/
Oh, and I thought about Atlantis in Nassau (which I've been impressed with), but it doesn't look like that will work.
So, fellow Insiders, I welcome your suggestions:
- what other properties should we be looking at?
- which of these properties should be looking more closely at?
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY ADVICE!!!!ea