kharada46

Does Marriott (and businesses in general) Really Understand Millennials?

Discussion created by kharada46 on Dec 11, 2015
Latest reply on Oct 11, 2017 by nipper

I know there's been much discussion on Insiders about how Marriott has been trying to cater to millennials lately and a lot of great discussions/arguments have taken place.  One of the biggest points of contention has to have been about the removal of features from rooms deemed as necessary to millennials and the push to create more social atmospheres in the public areas. 

I for one have never agreed on this stance.  Call me strange (for a millennial), but I prefer to work in my room.  Even on vacation, I'd rather set my laptop down on the desk in the room and dump photos from the camera and edit them in-room.  I want to relax in my room, which I'm paying good money or points for, after a long day of work or adventure.  Admittedly, I may be an old sole, but I'm not alone, as was made even more clear by a BoardingArea post I saw today:

Dear Marriott: Millennials Also Care About Desks

Further, there are other chains that continue to keep the focus on the in-room experience, such as Hyatt's Andaz, doesn't charge for minibar items (excluding alcohol).  In-fact, studies are showing that younger millennials and even the Gen Z kids have more in common with the Boomers than Gen X or older millennials/Gen Y. 

I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks, especially the other millennials in Insiders.  Am I just part of a minority

Outcomes