lindseyh

What are you reading?

Discussion created by lindseyh on Nov 3, 2015
Latest reply on Nov 5, 2015 by carat

I don’t know about the rest of you, but as the seasons change and the weather begins its transition into a more gloomy and rain-laden state, I find myself thinking about a good read more so than any other time of the year (although we should be reading at all times of the year, and as much as we can; knowledge is power, y’all).

I’m also fortunate enough to live near the one of the best places on Earth: Powell’s City of Books! Have any Insiders that are familiar with Portland been to this book store? I happily get lost in that store each time I’m there. From fantasy to historical fiction, nonfiction to life philosophy, I love it all. I firmly believe that books are something we need to preserve and protect the integrity of, as we quickly transform into a completely digital world. There’s nothing wrong with a kindle or reading digitally, but there’s something to be said for the smell of a book, the feel of the paper as the pages turn, and the sound a hardback makes when shut and shelved. Anyone else agree?

Lots of you travel, which means you’re spending extended amounts of time on planes, on your hotel balcony overlooking the pool, on the beach under a sun umbrella, or cooped up in your room. That being said, what are you guys reading? Have you picked up a great work this year? A few? Did you re-read something that resonates with you? Have a favorite Author?

As for me, I spent this year re-reading classics that I haven’t touched in a while. I just got done with Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, and also recently read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain. Additionally, I read a wonderful book called Karma Gone Bad by Jenny Feldon. It’s a true story about the author, who shares her experiences from when she moved from New York City to India, due to her husband receiving a job offer. It’s a great look at the cultural differences that can be found across the globe, and I definitely recommend it if you’re considering a trip to India!

There are some wonderful threads with awesome recommendations on this topic, give them a looksy!

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/11025?start=0&tstart=0

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/91466#91466

Thanks in advance for sharing your recommendations folks, and I may take a trip back to Powell’s to give some of your recs. a read!

Outcomes