j-zo

How does this happen?

Discussion created by j-zo on Aug 1, 2015
Latest reply on Sep 18, 2015 by 702rugbyref

After a long day of flight delays and very long lines, I was telling a friend that the day couldn't get any worse.  Boy was I Wrong. Rather than spend 2 hours in the customer service line at ATL to get my hotel voucher, I decided to book my own hotel.  Being a loyal Marriott platinum customer, I quickly logged into the Marriott app and secured my place to stay for the night since my flight was rebooked for the following morning.  I finally get checked in around midnight and head up to my room for some much needed sleep.  I slide my key and open the door and head straight for the bed.  now imagine the surprise of the nice couple already OCCUPYING MY BED!  Well I guess in this scenario, it's their bed.  Anyway, after an awkward conversation, I quickly make my way out of their room where I head back down to the front desk.  During my long wait in line to speak with the receptionist, I overheard another gentleman having a conversation about a similar experience.  Luckily for him, the room he barged into had the latch closed so he never had to have that awkward conversation.  When I finally was able to get through the line and speak with the front desk attendant,rather than apologizing or showing any sort of care or concerns, she simply muttered "are you kidding me?" "Not another one".  After a short, unapologetic conversation, I was handed a key to what I hoped to be an unoccupied room.  Thankfully, she got it right this time.

After reading comments here and on other travel sites, to my surprise, this is a fairly common occurrence. With 108 nights this year, apparently I'm lucky that this is the first time this has happened. Wow!

Marriott, you got to get this right! What if the man I awoke from a deep sleep thought I was breaking into his room?  What if I scared the older gentleman into a heart attack?  you're placing your guests in danger, not to mention I now have to question the security of my belongings when I'm not in my room.

you've got to get this fixed!

After a long day of flight delays and very long lines, I was telling a friend that the day couldn't get any worse.  Boy was I Wrong. Rather than spend 2 hours in the customer service line at ATL to get my hotel voucher, I decided to book my own hotel.  Being a loyal Marriott platinum customer, I quickly logged into the Marriott app and secured my place to stay for the night since my flight was rebooked for the following morning.  I finally get checked in around midnight and head up to my room for some much needed sleep.  I slide my key and open the door and head straight for the bed.  now imagine the surprise of the nice couple already OCCUPYING MY BED!  Well I guess in this scenario, it's their bed.  Anyway, after an awkward conversation, I quickly make my way out of their room where I head back down to the front desk.  During my long wait in line to speak with the receptionist, I overheard another gentleman having a conversation about a similar experience.  Luckily for him, the room he barged into had the latch closed so he never had to have that awkward conversation.  When I finally was able to get through the line and speak with the front desk attendant,rather than apologizing or showing any sort of care or concerns, she simply muttered "are you kidding me?" "Not another one".  After a short, unapologetic conversation, I was handed a key to what I hoped to be an unoccupied room.  Thankfully, she got it right this time.

After reading comments here and on other travel sites, to my surprise, this is a fairly common occurrence. With 108 nights this year, apparently I'm lucky that this is the first time this has happened. Wow!

Marriott, you got to get this right! What if the man I awoke from a deep sleep thought I was breaking into his room?  What if I scared the older gentleman into a heart attack?  you're placing your guests in danger, not to mention I now have to question the security of my belongings when I'm not in my room.

you've got to get this fixed!

Outcomes