702rugbyref

Car Rental Companies

Discussion created by 702rugbyref on Jul 13, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 11, 2017 by 702rugbyref

Good morning folks. An issue that arose from my past weekend so wanted to provide a caution to everyone.

First of all, I tend to be a very loyal member to a program whether it is hotels, airlines and car rentals .I tend to have my preference and my 'back-up' if prices are significantly different, availability, location, etc. SO..I generally rent from National Car Rental as I build up 'free days' and I pick ANY car on the lot with my Executive Elite status. However, this past weekend at LAX, Hertz  (my back-up (Gold Member) and I believe Marriott Loyalty partner), the same car was 40% cheaper and therefore I went that direction...no problem for two days.

Returning the rental last night, I noted the car rental bill at check-out was $57+ more than my contract (over 71% markup!). I advised the attendant and she advised that I should call the Hertz 1-800# in the morning and I did a few hours ago. I checked my credit card statement and they had billed me the extra $$. When I called the  customer service, they agreed with the error and said they would fix it. They could not provide an explanation for the error (in their favor by 71%!) so sent me to the LAX location to obtain the explanation only to be put into a voicemail system.

I usually check bills but would not have noticed a few $$ difference but a difference of $57 on a $81 contract I did. I CAUTION others of this 'scam'. I have emailed the Hertz customer service wanting a defined explanation to this tort. So I was wondering if any of you have had similar experiences with car rentals, hotels, restaurants, etc.

Maybe I will start a blog on personal ways of detecting frauds so stand-by for that. All the best. Phil

Outcomes