whalerlover

Poor Experience at the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas

Discussion created by whalerlover on Jun 9, 2015
Latest reply on Jun 26, 2015 by jerryl

I have travelled to Las Vegas on business probably 20 times in the last ten years.  Since the Cosmopolitan opened, I usually have stayed there.  This last stay will be my last stay at the Cosmopolitan and I am writing a quick review so you can avoid the experience (if you so choose) I had when I stayed there last.  I booked 3 rooms for people from my company for 4 nights each.  All 3 of us had the same problems.  In past years, I have reserved 5 rooms for 5 nights.  This time, I reserved two at the Renaissance and 3 at the Cosmopolitan.

I am a Platinum Premier Member and have stayed at my fair share of Marriott hotels.  I have never before seen fit to post a negative review to this board.

When I arrived, I was given a relatively poor quality room.  (low floor, no balcony, small shower because it was an accessible room with a huge fold up bench taking up most of the space on one side and a massive spray shower faucet on the other).  I had asked for a higher floor at the desk, but I arrived late and figured I received one of the last rooms available.  I asked if I could perhaps change rooms the next day and was told I was welcome to come back and see if a room was available.

The surrounding rooms were packed with 20 somethings partying all night long.  Ok, I realize its Vegas.  But when selecting a nice hotel I hope that the relatively high prices will keep spring breakers from making my experience unbearable.  These weren't exactly spring breakers (being in their twenties) but the had the same habits, if larger budgets.  My floor had dozens of rooms with 4-6 adults sharing a room.  I saw Gaggles of folks following a person with a just turned 21 balloon.  I witnessed (from 430 am till 1100 am, three couples snorting cocaine of each other in the hotel below my room with what looked like two cases of champaign empty bottles surrounding the carnage.  If they hadn't been so loud that I couldn't sleep, I really wouldn't have cared.  The long and short of it is that the Cosmopolitan appears to enjoy and foster its reputation as a party hotel and it's walls are way to thin for a business visitor to get any rest.

I visited the office the next day at 10 and asked for a different room and was denied.  Apparently, the didn't have any.  This is in a hotel with probably a 1000 rooms.  I think this shows what they think of Marriott Rewards Members.  The next two nights were just as bad.  Again, the problem was not just limited to my floor.  Two of my companies employees had similar experiences.

When I checked out I told the clerk (at the desk that handles platinum members) I'd like to speak to a manager to explain neither I, nor any member of my company would be staying there in the future.  He asked what was wrong and I listed my concerns.  (1) Poor room, with no effort by the Hotel to find a better one.  (2) Its apparent desire to cater to a 20 something partying crowd that can only afford rooms when it bunks 4-6 people per room.  (3) Loud and disruptive partying and open drug use from dawn until 11 in the morning.  (4) obvious apathy for business travelers of some of Marriott's best customers.  He went to speak with a manager, and came back to tell me she was busy.  Could she call me later?  I said sure and left.  Sure enough, she called while I was on the plane home.  I was too busy to call her back.

On the positive side, my employees had a great experience at the Renaissance.  We rented a quite and held meetings there.  The staff was professional and the rooms were well tended.  If we stay at a Marriott property next time, it will be there.  Marriott really needs to have a luxury hotel in Vegas that caters to business visitors.  A JW would be nice.  I guess we will try the Oriental and Aria and see if they have been taken over by bachelor parties, 21 celebrators and other assorted boisterous coke snorters.  The Renaissance is great, but a bit dull for Vegas.  That is why I am disappointed the Cosmopolitan has evolved into what it has.

Tim

Outcomes